We started with recycled book covers and we used Modge Podge to cover them with pieces of paper. Of course, I forgot to take a picture of mine for this step, but here's one Dori was making. She had just started covering the paper with acrylic paint.
Here's a pile of the papers we were using to create. I loved using some maps and dictionary papers.
Next we used white acrylic paint together with three colors (okay I cheated and used four ... I always have trouble following the rules when it comes to art) to cover-up our layer of papers. This involved fingers, paper towels and brushes (I wish I'd had some baby wipes with me). You can see a bit of the dictionary paper peeking through.
Next step was incorporating highlights using Water Soluble Crayons ... I used a dark orange and darker turquoise.
Next we used Water Soluble Pencil to draw and smudge some lines, so we could write our quotes. I didn't come prepared with anything to write, so I decided to use something that supported my word for 2015 ... *QUIET*
The final steps were attaching a ribbon for hanging & coating the entire piece with thick gel medium that had been dyed to create a faux bees wax coating.
I'm also linking-up at the Anything Goes Challenge at Anything but a Card.